Diffstat (limited to 'src/gui/image/qimagewriter.cpp')
1 files changed, 10 insertions, 7 deletions
diff --git a/src/gui/image/qimagewriter.cpp b/src/gui/image/qimagewriter.cpp
index d172d4008f..fa261df1a5 100644
@@ -434,13 +434,16 @@ QString QImageWriter::fileName() const
- This is an image format specific function that sets the quality
- level of the image to \a quality. For image formats that do not
- support setting the quality, this value is ignored.
+ Sets the quality setting of the image format to \a quality.
- The value range of \a quality depends on the image format. For
- example, the "jpeg" format supports a quality range from 0 (low
- quality, high compression) to 100 (high quality, low compression).
+ Some image formats, in particular lossy ones, entail a tradeoff between a)
+ visual quality of the resulting image, and b) encoding execution time and
+ compression level. This function sets the level of that tradeoff for image
+ formats that support it. For other formats, this value is ignored.
+ The value range of \a quality depends on the image format. For example,
+ the "jpeg" format supports a quality range from 0 (low visual quality, high
+ compression) to 100 (high visual quality, low compression).
@@ -450,7 +453,7 @@ void QImageWriter::setQuality(int quality)
- Returns the quality level of the image.
+ Returns the quality setting of the image format.